Next week, I will be talking to students in PPIE at a Team Projects fair, so I have started a list of questions to ask them:
· Why did you join PPIE?
· What is the most valuable lesson you learned in the project?
· What is the most valuable lesson you learned in class?
· What would you learn if you could add something to this program?
· If you could take out an aspect of the program, what would it be?
· Did your classes help you in the project?
· Have you had any similar experience to this project before?
· What has working on a team taught you?
· Do you feel like you understand the person you are designing for?
· What have you done to understand the people you are designing for?
· Do you feel like you are making an impact from the role on your team?
I will also be learning about the team projects that exist and will be meeting the team leaders.
I’ve been starting to wonder how the CSE classes would fit into this program. Could they be their own subset of courses that students are encouraged to take by their mentors? Could there be a lecture course and a project course that coincide as part of their classes and not something as part of the larger project? Might that be a way to teach the skills of CSE without losing them in the large scope of this project? Then students could do a service based project and apply the skills they learned in the smaller scaled project?